Boy Scout Sunday – “Be Prepared”
Our Boy Scout troop participated in our service on this morning. It was a great success, and having them there was a blessing.
However, in all the excitement… we forgot to record the sermon. But the notes are available and listed below.
And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.
The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) was inspired by and modeled on the Boy Scout Association, established by Baden-Powell in Britain in 1908. In the early 1900s, several youth organizations were active, and many became part of the BSA. The BSA was founded in 1910 and grew rapidly, becoming the largest youth organization in the United States.
- D. Boyce was an American newspaper man and entrepreneur. According to legend, he was lost on a foggy street in London when an unknown Scout came to his aid, guiding him back to his destination. The boy then refused Boyce’s tip, explaining that he was merely doing his duty as a Boy Scout. Immediately afterwards, Boyce met with General Robert Baden-Powell, who was the head of the Boy Scout Association at that time. Boyce returned to America, and, four months later, founded the Boy Scouts of America.
He incorporated the Boy Scouts of America on February 8, 1910 and applied for a congressional charter. The BSA National Office opened in the 28th Street YMCA in New York City on June 1, 1910. By autumn BSA had 2,500 leader applications from 44 states and 150,900 youth inquiries.
The National Council was formed in the fall of 1910 with Colin H. Livingstone as the national president, Robinson becoming the managing secretary (on a temporary leave from the YMCA) and Seton as Chief Scout. Beard, Bomus and Verbeck became the national Scout commissioners. Seton wrote A Handbook of Woodcraft, Scouting, and Life-craft, the original edition of what is now the Boy Scout Handbook.
Objective: To broaden the vision for Scouting in each of your minds, by comparing its founding principles to the Word of God.
On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
To help other people (your neighbor) at all times;
Luke 10:25-37, The Good Samaritan
To keep myself physically strong (BODY), mentally awake (MIND), and morally straight (SOUL). The sum of these three parts are what make up the Scouting Spirit. And God demonstrates this to us in His own Triune Persona as Jesus, who represents the Body, God the Father who represents the Mind, and the Holy Spirit who represents the Soul.
Jude 1:21-25 21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22 And of some have compassion, making a difference: 23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. 24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. ************
Titus 2:11-14 11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.
Proverbs 30:5-15 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. THE ESSENCE OF CHRISTIAN LIVING
6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
7 Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die:
8 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Trustworthy
9 Lest I be full, Thrifty and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? Or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain. Reverent
10 Accuse not a servant unto his master, let he curse thee, and thou be found guilty. Loyal
11 There is a generation that curseth their father, and doth not bless their mother. Obedient
12 There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness. Clean
13 There is a generation, O how lofty are their eyes! And their eyelids are lifted up. 14 There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men. Friendly, Kind, Courteous, Helpful Cheerful
15 The horseleach hath two daughters crying, Give, give. This verse refers to insatiable cravings and covetousness, a picture of the corrupted character of someone who isn’t brave enough to live right, by God’s moral code… as represented by the Scout Law. Brave
Scout Motto “Be Prepared”
Scouting reinforces biblical ideals which will help a young person develop into a socially responsible citizen, and to be that type of citizen one must be prepared at all times if they are going to be of value to the community they live in. But there is a bigger and far more critical aspect of life to be prepared for, and that is the day when you will ultimately meet God, when this life is over.
Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
1) Death is prepared to take us: Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
2) God is prepared to receive us: John 14:1-4 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. 4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
3) Jesus has prepared a way to redeem us: John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Are you prepared to meet God? Have your sins been washed in the only sacrifice God will accept through saving faith in His Son Jesus Christ?
Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast.
Don’t wait another day… Be Prepared!
2 Corinthians 6:2 For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.
Scouting is one of the best things to prepare a young person for life in this world, but it does nothing for them eternally. For that you need Jesus. But give a Scout Jesus, and he has the means to accomplish much in this life and in the life to come.
Titus 2:11-14 11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
Quotes by Baden Powell, the founder of BSA…
- “Scouting is nothing less than applied Christianity” 1917
- “The religion of a man is not the creed he professes but his life – what he acts upon, and knows of life, and his duty in it. Baden-Powell quoting Carlyle
- “Christianity or broad-minded love-practice does not as yet prevail in this world.”
- “When asked where religion came into Scouting and Guiding, Baden-Powell replied, It does not come in at all. It is already there. It is a fundamental factor underlying Scouting and Guiding.” 1926).
- “….We aim for the practice of Christianity in their everyday life and dealings, and not merely the profession of theology on Sundays….
- “No man is much good unless he believes in God and obeys His laws. So every Scout should have a religion….Religion seems a very simple thing: First: Love and Serve God. Second: Love and serve your neighbour.”